Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L Tuning Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L Tuning Question
From: K2EK@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 21:36:44 EST
Rick

My inv-L is 60' vertical plus 75' +/- sloping down and away from the tower
(70' topped with an X7).  There is 6' separation between the tower and vertical
wire. I also use the tower as a folded monopole on 80.  Consequently it is
tied to the radials (100 x 65').

I found I needed to use a series cap between the coax and vertical wire. I
think I wound up with 2 or 300pf. You could try a 2 section BC variable to get
an idea.  In my case, the horizontal wire started out at almost 85'.  I had to
a very nice match at 1835.  If this works for you, you can then improvise a HV
cap by using 12" pieces of scrap RG8.  Each piece will contribute about 28 -
30pf (make sure you maintain 1/2" or so separation between braids and center
conductors).

I used an MFJ269 at the base for tuning.  It was oblivious to a 10Kw BC
station 5 or 6 miles north of me.

73 and GL
Bill
K2EK