Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Shunt Fed Question

To: "Peter Voelpel" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Shunt Fed Question
From: " Peter Forbes" <prforbes@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 14:04:35 +1100
Peter,

The late John Lewis, VK3HW had a setup similar to what you describe.

He had a steel electricity transmission tower with a full size 3 el 40mx
yagi on top around 120 feet.

Initially he tried gammas up to the landing on the tower @ about 110 feet
with no success.

EVENTUALLY, he tried a feed point about 50 feet up the tower, but had to use
an omega match at the base to get a suitable impedance match.

Trying to use a gamma match and adjusting the spacing from the tower would
be a time consuming exercise.

If you intend running any sort of high power, then you really need to have 2
large capacitors, preferably vacuum variables.

Have a look at any of the Kraus textbooks or read some of the writings of
Paul Lee N6PL, W3JM, on matching vertical towers in backcopies CQ magazine

Good luck

Peter  VK3QI