Re: [TowerTalk] ICE

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ICE
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:00:51 -0800
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 10:34:06 -0700, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

>I bought an ICE model 402 filter.  It arrived promptly, but didn't
>come close to meeting the specs shown on the web site at:

>http://www.iceradioproducts.com/filtersrf.html#bcb

>It shows about 20 dB attenuation at 1500 kHz.  In fact, it does
>virtually nothing there.  I have a big signal at 1530, so the
>filter was useless to me.  For $28, it looked too good to be true,
>and it was.

Is this on a bench with a generator and calibrated load, or in your
system?

I've found ICE to have rather poor QC. I own 8 ICE filters, all but
three of which I bought new directly from ICE. Only two of the five I
bought from them were within spec. I own two BCB filters, one bought
new, one from a hamfest. Both are within spec. About 4 years ago, I
bought a 6M filter and a 2M filter. Both were out of spec. I returned
them and they fixed them promptly. Two years ago, I ordered two 419Bs.
They arrived nearly a year later. One was out of spec. All of my
measurements were done with a 50 ohm source and 50 ohm termination.

73,

Jim K9YC