Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar Cage Question

To: "'Dr M J DiGirolamo'" <DrD@2020.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar Cage Question
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:20:23 -0500
A Ufer ground doesn't necessarily call for a welded rebar cage. The NEC code
doesn't require it, and there have been several studies showing that
properly wired rebar provides sufficient conductivity. However, it's
possible that welding is required by the buiding codes in some
jurisdictions, so you should check with your local code officer.

FWIW, my local building inspector required a Ufer ground. I wired the rebar
cage and used high-quality aluminum clamps with conductive grease to attach
three ~50' pieces of 1/0 stranded ground wire to the cage. I ran one end of
each wire up through the clamp so that it extended above the tower base by
about two feet. After the pour, these pigtails were attached to the tower
legs, bonding the tower to the rebar cage (I have a pier-pin base.) The
other ends of the 1/0 wires extended out the side of the base hole and were
coiled up during the pour. After the pour, I had a guy with a Ditch Witch
dig three 48' trenches extending from the base and laid the 1/0 wire in the
trenches. Then I pounded in 8' ground rods every 16' in each trench and
Cadwelded the 1/0 wire to each rod. Lots of work!

You can see pictures of most of this on my website at www.wc1m.com. Click on
"Big Tower Project" on the left, then click on "Pier and Anchors" or "Ground
System".

73, Dick