[TowerTalk] Capstan Winch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Capstan Winch
From: "Denis Coolican" <coolican@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:50:28 -0700
I noted that Capstan winches come up once and a while on TowerTalk.  Well I
built one that is powered by a 120 volt motor / gear box combination that is
rated to lift 500 pounds. The engineering details and pictures are on the web
site at http://www3.telus.net/ve6fi/cqww%202007%20contest_1.htm   Possibly some
of you may be thinking of building one.

The AC motor is running at a power factor of 0.6 which is rather low. I was
wondering if this was typical for a 3/4 HP motor. I calculate that I would need
170 mfd of non polarized capacitors rated at 8 amps to bring the power factor
to 0.9

The reason I would like to bring the power factor closer to unity is to reduce
the line current.  Anyone have any experiences with this.

Denis ve6aq with Ve6fi