Re: [TowerTalk] rohn 25g questions

To: Donald Hofmann <electroubleshooter@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rohn 25g questions
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 17:03:52 -0800
Donald Hofmann wrote:
> I installed 30' of Rohn 25G in the early 90's. It is self supporting
> with 3' of the base in concrete (3x3x3'). I had two Channel Master
> antennas on it.
>
> Now that I am into ham radio, I want to heighten the tower to 50'
> (actually 47') guy it and put a beam or two on it.
>
> Here are my questions:
>

> 3. Due to space restrictions I can set the guys 30' from the tower
> base. They will be attached to 7' of heavy pipe with 3' in the ground
> in concrete. Is this adequate? I will use two guys per side. 4' high
> for the guys should help increase the guy angle as well as increase
> their height to keep things from hitting them.

This is tricky to get to work. How heavy a pipe?  How deep and big is
the concrete going to be?

Here's the deal... you have two questions:

Will the pipe bend from the side load of the guys? You said "heavy pipe"
so assuming you get something strong enough, that's not going to be a
problem.

Will the whole thing tilt over and lever out of the ground? That's more
a function of how big your concrete anchor is. If it can resist the
overturning force from the guy pulling on that 4 foot lever arm, then it
will work. It takes a pretty hefty chunk of concrete, though.. and if
you think your tower has tilted like that one in Pisa from the soil
shifting, then your anchors will likely do the same.