Re: [TowerTalk] 40m Vert advice for a small gun

To: Mark McCullen <solar7397@live.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40m Vert advice for a small gun
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:27:55 -0500
I faced a similar challenge, and selected the 43 foot tall model pole
antenna made by DX-Engineering, and I am, so far, thrilled with it.  I
have read the instructions and look at the HyGain AV-616 iteration of
that type of antenna, and was rather unimpressed by it.  Either one
should work about as well, as they are each 43 foot long tapered
aluminum poles, but I have been quite impressed by AV service, quality,
accurate and helpful instructions, prompt response to any problems, I
have received from DX-Engineering.  For example, my kit was missing one
aluminum tube by mistake, and DX-Engineering provided a tube by return
mail -- showing up at my location in about one 36 hours.they have been
available for questions and comments on an overnight-e-mail basis.  They
answer the phone immediately.  I am thrilled with it.

I also considered the Force-12 antennas, but did not like them, for
various technical reasons, and have heard their service is a mixed bag,
and it can take a long time to get your product.  Though most
significant technical reason was that they are limited to the shorter,
upper bands, whereas the big Mono pole antennas will cover the lower
bands somewhat, although not as well as upper bands, it is better than
nothing -- and I was unimpressed with the Sigma-40 where you have to
physically change the antenna components to change bands.  Their relay
system for changing bands on the Sigma-20 might be available for the
Sigma-40, but it was a very expensive high band-only antenna.  There
were other reasons I rejected that solution, as well.

I will send you a copy of my write up on it for your consideration.

Happy trails and 73.    ----  Richards - K8JHR ----