Re: [TowerTalk] Tram Coax

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting.com" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tram Coax
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:37:36 -0500

Gary K9GS wrote:
> Hello Larry,
>
> I purchased some of the following:
>
> http://www.air802.com/home.php?cat=430

The specs and prices look good, but (I know we are talking relative
terms here) the center conductor doesn't sound as rugged as the one in
LMR-400 as I have accidentally nicked the center conductor many times
when stripping with a box cutter before going to a good stripper.  I
never had any problems with the LMR-400 center conductor breaking after
that.  Even lightly scored all the way around it takes several bends to
break it off. It's pretty much dead soft Aluminum

Generally we get what we pay for, but the price of the LMR cable and
copies has come down greatly over the years. As my antennas require a
fair amount of work to get to I'm not really keen on experimenting with
new copies.  I've been satisfied with both the Times Wire LMR series and
the Andrew CNT series. The smaller sizes in both take considerable care
when stripping. For the smaller sizes I like the new foil and braid
shielded RG-8X.

I use LMR 600 on the tower, Davis BuryFlex (TM) for pigtails at the top,
and a variety (LMR-400, CNT-240, and RG-8X from the remote antenna
switches to the sloping dipoles. These cables need to be light weight,
fairly strong, and handle the legal limit.  The last requirement is
pushing the limits of both the 240 and RG-8X cables but I've not lost
one yet.

73

Roger (K8RI)