Re: [TowerTalk] Ew: PL-259s Going Open?

To: "Bill Aycock" <baycock@hughes.net>,"Peter Voelpel" <df3kv@t-online.de>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ew: PL-259s Going Open?
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:35:08 -0600
That wasn't Peter, it was me. Peter is innocent!

Yes, radiational heating was ignored in my analysis and that can heat
the coax to very high temperatures without some sort of ventilation.
I'd guess the stuff could hit 160 deg F or more on a hot Summer day,
now that I think about it.

Permeability pumping is certainly real (Gore-Tex (tm) uses it). But
I'm not convinced that this is always the case with 9913 and water.
As I'm led to understand it, liquid water can certainly enter through
the connectors, and I'm certain that permeability pumping doesn't
explain water running out of coax into a shack. Repeater antennas are
subject to severe conditions: extended periods in cloud, where the
air is at least saturated and sometimes supersaturated for hours on
end (something we do not see near the surface), long periods of
direct sun exposure, and high winds that will generate large
dynamically induced, rapidly changing pressure gradients about any
object. Not to mention the vibrational problems. Exposed antenna
sites are extremely demanding on anything and I'm amazed at how well
the things we put up there do.

But, regardless, that's not the problem I face here and now. I still
have the mysterious, spontaneous failure of a PL-259 that was outside
to wrestle with.

Kim Elmore N5OP