Re: [TowerTalk] Knot tying

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Knot tying
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:36:24 -0500

On 12/29/2008 jimlux wrote:

...snip....
> That works well.  I used to tie the clove hitch first, then lead the
> line along the pipe towards the high end, then twist and stick it over
> the end to make the half hitch, take out the foot or so of slack and it
> snugs right up.

Yes, that's the normal way - heck, the clove hitch was usually done as two
loops passed over - one way to tie them

>> My rigging was not at the heights that big towers were, but I've
>> lifted lots of BIG pieces of steel between 10 and 100 ft (heaviest
>> lift just over 10 tons - to 35 ft)

> Whether it falls 2 feet or 100, it's still a disaster..

Yep - never dropped a load.  Stop, think, and if you don't KNOW what your
doing, stop and ask, which was a good thing the original poster did.  Also,
plan is things DO go wrong, they go wrong in a way that no one gets hurt.  Most
of my rigging was in putting bridge cranes into place, which I always thought
was funny, as boy could we have used our end product, to get our end product
into place

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

Be wary of strong drink.
 It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss.
 --R.A.H.