[TowerTalk] 40-m. 4-Square vs. 40-m. Yagi

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40-m. 4-Square vs. 40-m. Yagi
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 23:13:25 EST
Hi Guys,

HNY!

I'm not impressed with the performance of a 2-el. Forty-Shorty at 90' on DX
qso's.  While it's great for 1,000 mi. or less... my single 1/4 wave vertical
is just as good on the average DX contact.  (since the Shorty-Forty at 90'
doesn't have any gain at low radiation angles... I guessed I should have
expected
as much)

Question: Considering flat terrain, average ground conductivity, and a
reasonable radial system: do you predict that a 40-m. 4-Square would outperform
the
90' Shorty-Forty by 3-5dB on the average DX qso?

73.
Dick- K9OM