Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn TB4 Thrust bearing

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn TB4 Thrust bearing
From: Jeff Goldman <k3dua@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 17:34:56 -0500
When I put up my first tower  (a Rohn 45 with the flat top plate), I
purchased a Fafner 4-bolt flange bearing from a local distributor.
Being an Americal made bearing it was fairly expensive.  That was up
for almost 20 years and still worked fine.

On my current tower, I have another bearing that I got from the
Surplus Center.  They have many 2, 3 and 4 bolt flange bearings with
various inside dimensions from 1/2 inch on up to 3 inches.  The 2-1/8
inch bearing (4 bolt mounting) cost all of $20.95 (plus shipping of
course).  These are heavy duty, and have a built in grease fitting.
Here is a link to the webpage on that bearing:
Burden Sales Surplus Center Item Detail
and here is the link to page 1 of 4 of the all of the 4-bolt flange
bearings
Burden Sales Surplus Center

The one thing that I would recommend is some sort of protective cover
to keep the rain off the bearing (and eventual rust).

Using any of these may mean that you might have to drill some new
holes in the top plate to mount the bearing, but in the long run, i
found these to be a good product.

73,
Jeff, K3DUA