[TowerTalk] BCB Intermodulation

To: "'Tower'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BCB Intermodulation
From: "Ed Richardson" <ed_richardson@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 21:02:18 -0600
Just wondering if anyone has experienced intermodulation caused by some
component in an antenna system? I am getting severe broadcast band
intermodulation across the 80m band and have ruled out the receiver.

The intermodulation takes the form of (2x Frequency 1) + frequency 2. I
have no less than 6 strong AM stations that all interact with each other
to basically wipe out most of 80m. The intermod products vary from S9 to
S9+20dB.

I have installed a high pass filter in line that reduced the
fundamentals at least 40 dB but the intermod remained unchanged. Added a
30 dB pad on the input, no change in intermod except being reduced by 30
dB.

I have a single feedline (7/8" Heliax) with a jumper to the radio
connected to a RATPAK tower mounted switch. Switching between multiple
antennas yields intermod with slightly varying levels. When selecting an
open connector port, Intermod drops to almost nil but is just slightly
detectable.

Any suggestions where to look next?

Ed
VE4EAR