Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical/Radials

To: lboekeloo@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical/Radials
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:10:22 -0500
I researched the subject of ground radials before installing my big 43
foot vertical, and concluded the the lossy earth will detune them.  Many
short radials, beats a few long ones.  For example, 30, 30-foot radials
would be better than 15, 60-foot radials.  I put down 36 radials, each
approximately 40 feet long, and feel I am getting good results.

Therefore, unless you are using elevated, tuned radials, particular
length is not important, and you cannot tune ground radials for a
particular band, as lossy earth will detune them and change everything.
   Just plan for a good number of shorter radials at first, and then,
perhaps, add in some wonder ones for good measure.  I understand that
the energy field is strongest close to the base of the vertical antenna
element, so many up close is better than a few far out.

Of course, if you can lay a lot of long ones, say 50 or more, then make
them as long as you can and get the best of both aspects.   I would make
them 50 feet or longer if I could get away with it in my yard.

Happy trails and 73.    ----  Richards - K8JHR ----

Larry Boekeloo wrote:

  Do I put down 60 - 100 veritcals cut for 160 or do I cut several
different
lengths of verticals for the bands I wish to operate such as 80/40/30
and have several combinations of lengths?