Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor control

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor control
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 07:13:24 -0500 (EST)
Lee,

There isn't anything especially difficult about controlling a rotator at a
distance of 750 feet.  The only issue is maintaining the required voltage for
the motor, and the brake if the rotator has one.  That distance presents no
problem at all for indicator circuits.

I currently have two M2 Orion rotators that are over 700 feet from their
control boxes, and there is no problem at all.  This rotator requires only four
wires: two for the motor and two for the indicator circuit.  I use #10 wire for
the motor.  Although I use #12 wire for the indicator, smaller wire would work
well.

The motor and brake voltage for the Ham4 and T2X rotators are more critical.
Again, the indicator circuit is not a problem with these rotators. The
following techniques will allow a Ham4 or T2X rotator at operate 750 feet from
its control box:
   1. Three #10 wires from the control box (the motor and brake wires, terminal
strip wires 1,2 and 3)
   2. Relocate the motor starting capacitor to a convenient much closer to the
rotator.  Its not necessary to place it immediately next to the rotator.
   3.  Mount a small transformer on the back of the control box and wire it
into the control box to boost only the brake voltage.

73
Frank
W3LPL