Re: [TowerTalk] Cold Galvanize Info Needed for Older tower Refurb

To: "Dennis Vernacchia" <n6ki73@gmail.com>, "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cold Galvanize Info Needed for Older tower Refurb
From: "Ed Zeranski" <edzeranski@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 22:21:21 -0800
  From: Dennis Vernacchia [mailto:n6ki73@gmail.com]
  Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:16 PM
  To: towertalk

  I acquired an older ( 25 to 30 years old )  crank up and bottom section
and some areas of
  other sections have a very slight patina of rust starting...

       73, Dennis N6KI
  Sandy Eggo

  Tower will not see much rain out here in So Cal area but I am sure some
morning dew collects on surfaces
  ( Things don't rust very fast out here unless one is within 1 mile of the
ocean ! )

   D-ennis , Dennis N6KI

  30 or so years and a slight  rust patina is no biggie, just be sure there
isn't IG corrosion in joints deeper than the surface. Clean it up with a
fine wire wheel and  angle or die grinder then use what ever primer is
specified by your chosen surface treatment. Or.... Having worked on
shipboard radio towers you might just want a good metal primer then top coat
of silver paint( Port-A-Gee Chrome) to match the original hot dip
Galvanizing(capitalized for Thomas Galvan) ~8^)

  EdZ..KG6UTS .who lives right by the Pacific Ocean.
  Baja OB