Re: [TowerTalk] Relay lightening protection

To: kip@kdream.com, "Wolfert,William R." <WWolfert@columbuspolice.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Relay lightening protection
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:55:26 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----

Actually, the relay manufacturers (e.g. Tyco, P&B, etc.) recommend NOT using
the diode across the coil, because it reduces relay life and changes actuation
speed.  Depending on whether you're suppressing across the coil or load, the
approaches are different.

http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/appnotes/app_pdfs/13c3311.pdf

as they say:
"Many engineers use a rectifier diode alone to provide the transient
suppression for relay coils. While this is cost effective and fully eliminates
the transient voltage, its impact on relay performance can be devastating."

Jim, W6RMK