Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Switch Needed

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Switch Needed
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:34:11 -0800
Pete Smith wrote:
> I did a survey a few years ago, and the consensus at the time was that the
> Ameritron RCS-8 switches were essentially bullet-proof.  I have used TopTen
> for years with no failures, and others agree on that too.  Maybe this is an
> area where there lots of solutions that are "good enough."

The only problem with the RCS-8 series is they're shock sensitive. Don't
throw them in the back of a pickup truck and expect them to survive the
trip and be perfectly functional at the other end.  Easily (nay,
trivially) fixable, unless the spring pops off and you lose it, but it
IS an issue.  Bolted to the wall of a motorhome would probably be ok.
Bumper of a car, nope. (yes, I tried the latter.. how else would you do
A/B experiments with antennas while on the move)