[TowerTalk] Soldering Iron for outside use

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Soldering Iron for outside use
From: "Dick Williams" <k8ztt@mho.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:04:43 -0700
I saw a post referencing what I assume was what type of iron would work outside
to solder a UHF male connector.

One of the replys was from K5UJ and he said "A gun no matter how high watt
isn't any good because the tip doesn't
have the metal mass needed for soldering a uhf male outside".

I certainly agree with him on this point.

I solved the problem with the purchase of a  Iroda Solderpro-180 that I picked
up at Dayton a couple of years ago (they have a booth in the main hall every
year).   It uses Butane and the standard tip is something like 7+mm; and it
works both inside and outside.

Their website is www.solder-it.com and it sells for 99 bucks.   They have
additional size tips available, though they are not on the web site.  Their
phone is  800 897 8989 (also listed on the web site), and they can be ordered
there.

Dick K8ZTT
Franktown CO