Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering Iron

To: <stevek@jmr.com>, <charlie@thegallos.com>, <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering Iron
From: BRENT BAUM <brentbaum5323@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 15:46:12 -0700
I have a big old "tinner" that was part of my father's tool kit at Boeing
Aircraft Company (couldn't let Hughes have all the free advertising) where he
was an electronics technician in the developmental division. (He also built
moon buggy components for Boeing). It has a pyramidal tip about 1/2 inch across
each face and heats a PL-259 body in 3-5 seconds, and the pointed tip helps
heat the braid without melting the inner dielectric. The downside is the many,
many minutes to come to full heat or cool down.
K7MEI, Brent> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:38:03 -0800> From: stevek@jmr.com> To:
Charlie@TheGallos.com; ranchorobbo@gmail.com> CC: towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering Iron> > > > Another wonderful tool that I
USED to have access to that makes soldering UHF or other BIG connectors simple
- see if you can get yourself a nice resistance soldering rig (or one can be
made from a filament transformer) - take the carbon electrode tweezers, clamp
around the body, hit the foot peddle, and the connector is up to temp in maybe
2-5 seconds> > ::Indeed! I have one of those. It's a 900W resistance soldering
setup, which was probably well over $1K "new" but purchased at the TRW Swap
Meet for $75. It had (still has) a "Property of Hughes Aircraft Company" asset
tag on it. :-)> > Works like a charm. Doesn't even take two seconds for a
PL-259 body, more like one second.> > WB2WIK/6>