Re: [TowerTalk] 43' Vertical - Feed Point Tuner or Shack Tuner?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 43' Vertical - Feed Point Tuner or Shack Tuner?
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 12:17:56 -0800
It would appear that the SWR curve that is still on the Array Solutions
web site was measured with a misapplied 4:1 voltage balun (which puts
half of the antenna RF voltage on the outside of the coax shield).
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/zero_five.htm

This could probably explain how an SWR of under 2:1 is obtained in the
160m band, where a 43 foot antenna alone has a modeled impedance of
about 7.5 - j 570 ohms over a good ground system with a 5 ohm equivalent
loss resistance.  This should give an SWR over 100:1 in either a 50 ohm
or a 200 ohm system.

73, Terry N6RY