Re: [TowerTalk] Ham M rotor freezing to accessory shelf

To: "'Paul Kelley N1BUG'" <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>, "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ham M rotor freezing to accessory shelf
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:57:15 -0500

> 1.) Why is this happening to the Ham M and not the Ham IV? Is there
> a physical difference in these two rotors that explains it? (I am
> currently unable to climb to inspect this -- a temporary situation,
> hopefully)

Probably something as simple as difference in paint ... ice will
adhere to some paints and not to others.

> 2.) How can I stop this from happening? Is it advisable to put
> spacers between the Ham M rotor base and the rotor shelf to provide
> more clearance for the rotating portion of the rotor?

Yes, I believe Hy-Gain even supplied suitable washers at some times
in their history.  Any of the "clearance kits" that provide a way
for the cable (and connector for the newer rotors) to exit above
the rotor shelf will work.

> 3.) I don't recall ever hearing anyone mention a similar issue.

I had it periodically with all of the Hy-Gain rotors (HAM-M,
HAM-II, HAM-III, HAM-IV, T2X) when I was in Ohio.  It was only
a matter of enough water around the base of the rotor when the
temperature fell below freezing.  A 1/4" thick washer between
the rotor and shelf on each bolt should eliminate the problems.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV