Re: [TowerTalk] F Now Mast Insertion Depth

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] F Now Mast Insertion Depth
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 01:16:20 -0500

Richards wrote:
> My wife says a 60 foot tower anywhere in the yard is OK... and any other
> antennas are OK...  but do not drill holes in her roof.
>
> I think I can live with that limitation.
>
> GOOD LUCK on your roof tower project.
>
> ======================= K8JHR  ========================
>
> WA6RKN wrote:
>

>> I did forget to mention that Glen Martin says no need to guy these roof top
>>  towers, but..with 80 to 100 mph winds in my neighborhood, at least 3 times

Every thing consists of trade offs. <:-))
An un-guyed roof mounted tower translates the wind load to a pivoting
force with a lot of leverage ...which is why they are usually on the
short side with a wide base.  With a guyed tower the wind load transfers
to a downward force which depends on the guying angle.  I think a well
designed roof with reinforcements would probably hold the downward force
better than a bending moment.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

73

Roger (K8RI)