[TowerTalk] Radial material choice and effect

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radial material choice and effect
From: "Bill Aycock" <baycock@hughes.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:14:47 -0600
I am considering adding radials as an adjunct to an inverted L antenna. I am
referring to the discussion in chapter 3 of the ARRL Antenna book, 20th
edition, as a starting place. The material used there is only referred to as
Copper, 12 to 22 g, and is considered to be suitable.

Besides Copper, which is currently quite expensive, readily available materials
such as Aluminum and Stainless steel electric fence wire are often mentioned. I
am considering shallow buried wires, with at least 36 radials.

Can anyone tell me, or give a reference to data, that compares the
effectiveness of the different materials, with Copper as the base for
comparison?

Thanks- Bill-W4BSG