Re: [TowerTalk] Mast material

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast material
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 20:25:12 -0500

k2vi wrote:
> Hey guys, can someone please advise me on the mast to use, I was looking at
> 2" EMT pipe I saw in the electrical dept at home depot. Keep in mind this
> pipe will be supporting a hy-gain 203BA which has a 16' boom and weighs 32#
> also it will be pushed up from the thrust bearing about 6'.
The antenna is not much for the strength of 2" EMT BUT doing it with a
6' arm is.  EMT is rolled and welded. It's not all that strong. It's
also cad plated which will rust in a hurry.  Schedule 40 galvanized it
much stronger. OTOH if you think schedule 40 is heavy, try some sked
80.<:-))  I use schedule 40, structural steel tubing, but it has to be
thoroughly cleaned, primed and painted.
> Im sure it will be fine here in va beach. Right now im using a galvinized 2"
> shedule 40 pipe that weighs a ton.

You should try pulling 40' of schedule 40 to the top of a 100' tower and
then lowering it down through the thrust bearing. <:-))

Given the choices the 2" pipe is a better choice. OTOH I'd have the ends
cut off to eliminate any bare steel that will rust. then cap on both
ends  to keep water/moisture and critters out. 2" can be capped using
the tops of paint cans along with Silastic RTV (TM). OTOH I weld caps
over the ends and then give it a real good dose of  LPS2 before closing
the vent holes.

NOTE, be careful if you dose the pipe with a rust preventive and then
weld the vent holes shut. It might get a bit noisy.  Better to drill and
tap the ends for small pipe plugs.

73

Roger (K8RI)