Re: [TowerTalk] lightning protection

To: ad6aa@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning protection
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 01:01:05 -0500
That is probably an accurate assessment about many installations.

A very experienced and respected local ham has three towers,
and one of them is not grounded in any other way than its base in
the ground.   He figures if the lightening cannot get from the base
of the tower into the dirt it sits in, then it probably won't find the
cable and ground stake either.

Logically I think he is right.

And yet,  I think I will add the silly wire and stake,  anyway...

Michael Germino wrote:
> I guess how much protection you plan, depends on how
much lighting happens in your area.

  I'm going to do more than the One to three ground rods, but I don't
plan on spending a lot of time on lighting protection.