Re: [TowerTalk] Tower insurance

To: kr5dx@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower insurance
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:49:20 -0400

Andre Van Wyk KR5DX wrote:
> I just installed a new tower and would like it, together with antennas
> etc, properly insured. I contact my broker and it seems they have little
> knowledge of this type of insurance.
>
> Any suggestions or names of insurance companies that is familiar with
> Ham equipment / towers would be appreciated.

This is a good one for on-list as we should all be aware of the need for
insurance, both replacement and liability.
Almost any insurance agent should know about towers. I'd guess you are
dealing with an independent agent, rather than a large agency.

The requirements vary, but... some will insure a tower as if it were an
out-building/structure on your regular policy up to some set percent, "I
believe" 10% of the main dwelling. Others will not. Some require a rider
for a tower, and some require a rider to go beyond the 10% or what ever.
Some will insure the tower as part of the dwelling if it's attached
(bracketed), while others require them to be completely separate.  There
may be other requirements including meeting all code requirements or the
policy may be void.

I have a rider due to the value of replacing the tower and antennas
which includes labor. Never forget labor.  Make sure to have a real
*current* value for everything and get an estimate for labor.  Don't
under insure and don't over insure.

I also have the ARRL insurance on the equipment, but there are so many
"outs" where they don't have to pay I sometimes question it.

73

Roger (K8RI)