Re: [TowerTalk] tower and equipment insurance

To: towertalk@contesting.com (TT), kr5dx@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower and equipment insurance
From: hdmc38@bellsouth.net
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:25:43 +0000
The QST article certainly has some good information in it and is well worth
reading. I think Roger has the best view so far which is a rider on your home
owners policy that specifically spells out what you will and will not get. All
companies are different in as what they will or will not cover. A small tower
say 50 feet with a decent beam and all the the extras including labor could
easily run up a $20,000.00 claim. One thing for sure if you have to make a
claim and let's pray you don't. There will be an adjuster sitting at a desk
somewhere else that will interpret your claim and policy to see what you will
get paid. I think you could easily say there are not many home owner policy
adjusters that have much experience in handling a tower claim or an amateur
radio antenna support structure may be a better term. Talk to your agent or the
person that you are buying the coverage from., If they can't explain it then
talk to someone who can. If you can find someone in the business
 get them to read and explain the coverage to you. I see you have  5 call and I
don't know what the issues are where you live, but in Florida the insurance
companies are thieves and the the state Insurance commissioner and the Governor
let them get away with it. My XYL was a senior adjuster for 22 years. She is
now a paralegal supervisor for a law firm whose specialty is suing insurance
companies for their clients that did not get paid. Business is very good. Now
not all claims are gloom and doom but you have to do your homework if you want
to get paid. My tower and home went thru Hurricane Wilma just fine. Took down
200 feet of 6 foot privacy fence. I sat in the den and watched it blow away. My
weather station wind speed indicator stopped at 111 MPH. Cost to replace the
fence was $6500.00. But wait The state of Florida has a new law that imposes a
2% deductible on top of the one in your policy. Bottom line is the fence cost
6500.00 and I got a check for $4300.00. All legal.
 Well guys back to another day in paradise in South Florida.Good luck
--
73 K4XZ Joe Patrick