Re: [TowerTalk] weight and sq. ft antenna limits on rohn 25 and 45

To: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>, "'RICHARD SOLOMON'" <w1ksz@q.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] weight and sq. ft antenna limits on rohn 25 and 45
From: "Dan Hearn" <n5ar@air-pipe.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:43:09 -0700
I have 2 crankups and 1 guyed tower. For the crankups I  use an extension
ladder with one of those U shaped attachments at the top which are available
at the stores that sell the ladders. They keep the ladder from sliding
sidewise. The first time I climb the ladder I use a small piece of rope to
secure the top rung to the tower. If the bottom of the ladder is at an angle
of 30 degrees or so, it is like climbing stairs to go up it.
  I climb the ladder and step on the top of the tower to unbolt the antenna.
A rope thru a pulley at the top of the mast is tied to the boom and the
vertical truss of the beam. The truss is not normally tied to the mast. This
assures that it maintains a level position while being lowered. If the beam
is heavy I have a small worm drive boat winch with 50 ft of garage door lift
cable on it which is attached to the tower at the base and a variable speed
drill makes easy work of that.
  No pulley at the mast top? Attach one to a hook, put a rope thru it and
attach it to a piece of aluminum tubing that will reach the mast top.
  Stacked beams? Lower the bottom one first. I have mast steps made from 6
inch aluminum channel and climb up to the next beam. Attach the rope to your
safety harness and have a friend take up the slack as you climb up.
  I believe it would be possible to attach a ring rotator at the top of any
section. The corner tubes of the tower are hollow at the top in UST towers.
You could make an adaptor which has 3 rods 2 or 3 ft long to plug into the
corners of the tower.
  I am 83 years old, weigh 135# and am not particularly strong . I have no
problem doing my antenna work this way.

73, Dan, N5AR