Re: [TowerTalk] 6061 vs 6063

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6061 vs 6063
From: Joe Reisert <Joe@Reisert.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:44:27 -0400
Hi Roger,

I don't know where you live but up here in God's Country (NH) 50
miles for the Ocean my antennas seem to stay shiny. In fact, earlier
this winter I had to fix one of my verticals that had severe ice
storm damage. The only aluminum tubing I had of the size that broke
was 6061-T6. Now several months later when I look out, I can spot the
6061-T6 tubing by the dull finish but the 3 year old 6063-T832
material on the vertical is still nice and bright.

BTW, even if the tubing is bright when you buy it and it dulls later,
you buy for how it looks now. Ditto all the plated hardware some
manufacturers sell with their antennas. Looks nice when you put it up
but rust soon follows!

73,

Joe, W1JR