Re: [TowerTalk] C3SS Question

To: "'VO1HP'" <fdavis@nfld.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] C3SS Question
From: hdmc38@bellsouth.net
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 02:12:00 +0000
Hello Frank

The C3SS is great antenna. It should play very well for you.The 20 meter driven
element is split with an insulator. But each side is still about 18' long.
None of the other elements are split and are insulated from the boom by a split
slip on insulator. Some of the longer elements use nuts and bolts to hold the
first piece of tubing to the second so this will help you some. The rest of the
elements are riveted together so bring a portable drill and some sharp 1/8"
bits. The rivets are aluminum so they should come out. use a 1/8" punch for the
hard ones. each element piece should collapse into the next to give you a
transportable length. You should try to get a manual for easier re assembly.
Clean the aluminum with a scuff pad like the ones they use to scuff paint on
cars. 3M makes them. Force 12 used Noalox to assemble the elements so if who
ever put this one together did than they should come apart.You can use Penetrox
on re assembly. Check the elements before you take them
  apart for a tight fit. They should be held together with one row of three
rivets. If they are loose or the holes are out of shape.You may have to add two
more rows of rivets at 120 degrees apart. The boom should be in 3 pieces bolted
together so no problem there. make sure you get the boom to mast plates. Force
12 has a great system that uses 2 aluminum plates to mount the boom to the
mast. If you do it this way it's great and quick when your up on a tower. When
you get it all together try to get an antenna analyzer and check the resonant
frequencies. 15 & 20 meters should be very close to where you want them. 10
meters is set at like 29.600 way too high for my taste you may feel different.
Now they say that all the hardware is stainless steel, but the element to boom
bracket U bolts on mine were not. If you use the Force 12 balun they give you 2
tie wraps to hold it up. UV is not kind to most tie wraps. I think I will use
3M # 88 when it comes down for maintenance. Shoot s
 ome clear lacquer on the balun to element connections for uv protection. I've
had my C3S up for six years now and I still love this antenna.Despite what the
instructions say this is NOT a good antenna for 12 or 17 meters.10 15 & 20 are
great. Well good luck you will like this antenna

   73 Joe Patrick K4XZ