Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing the ends of coax

To: Tim Holmes <w8tahradio@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing the ends of coax
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 15:43:02 -0400

Tim Holmes wrote:
> Hi folks;
>
> Couple weeks back, someone posted a link of information on how to seal the
> end of coax when im attaching it to my rotatable dipole
I use liquid electrical tape. You can also use epoxy (Not the thick
stuff you find in hardware and big box stores), or vinyl ester resin.
The resin has a much lower viscosity and will wick into the braid much
better.
> -- i currently have
> the coax wound and taped as a choke, and then the end is skinned back and
> attached to my dipole center to one side shield to the other -- i tried to
> seal it with silicone but it appears water has gotten in (fluxuating swr
> etc)
Water in the braid shouldn't do that unless you are using 9913 which is
like a water pipe.  The water gets to the connectors and that's where
the trouble starts.  Water in the braid or center conductor will
eventually cause corrosion and loss resulting in a LOWER SWR.

Erratic SWR almost always indicates a poor connection or flash over at a
connector.  I'm assuming you left the dielectric on the center conductor
for the pig tails?

73

Roger (K8RI)