Re: [TowerTalk] Ladderline - what are the facts??/

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ladderline - what are the facts??/
From: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 18:49:56 -0400

> still not sure why the station out SW of SAntonio can get such a great
> signal out with half of his 100' ladderline laying on the ground.???

It's either luck or maybe   he would  just have a much better signal if he
didn't do that.

There is no reason why that should work well.

I get good signal reports out of Europe on 160m and my current best guess is
that I radiate a total of about 10 watts of power on that band (and my
signal is about comparable to 30W to a full size quarter wave vertical).

I would never trust one guy who says "do this thing that everyone warns you
against, because it works fine for me"

And I wouldn't put too much stock in good sounding signals as a good measure
of how well an antenna is working unless you're really, really sure you
don't just always have super propagation to that spot.

For all you know, this guy could be running a kW to his ladderline on the
ground and losing so much power into the dirt that he could be running 100W
into the antenna with better routing.

Or he could be running 10kW and sounding like a kW :-)

Keep it off the ground.  You can drape it in loose spiral loops on a rope to
get it out of the way... you just don't want to overlap it.

73
Dan