Re: [TowerTalk] Little Things Can Make a Difference

To: ac9s@mchsi.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Little Things Can Make a Difference
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 00:14:39 -0400

ac9s@mchsi.com wrote:
> <Weigh your tube, calculate it's kinetic energy 0.5 * mass * velocity ^2
> <right before impact and comparing that to the muzzle energy of a bullet.
>
> <I think the kinetic energy of  a .375 inch diameter 10 foot long aluminum
> <tube with a .058  inch wall (308 grams by Texas Towers' weight list)  going
> <88 miles per hour compares favorably with a .38 special's muzzle energy,
> <provided you ignore the aerodynamic drag of the tube.
>
> <Of course, you can't really ignore the drag in many of the "falling object
> <is like a bullet" problems, but still... gives you an idea of what would
> <happen if your tower were in a vacuum :-)
>
> <73
> <Dan
>
> I am not saying your calculation is incorrect, but I think you would be hard
> pressed to shoot a 38 a foot into the ground.

The dynamics of a projectile that is made of soft lead and designed to
deform at 800 fps compared to an Aluminum tube traveling between 50 and
60 fps is quite different with the 38 creating a strong hydraulic shock.
A 9mm FMJ OTOH fired into soft, wet top soil just might make it...You'd
probably need a shower afterwards though. <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)