Re: [TowerTalk] SWR QUESTION

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SWR QUESTION
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 16:58:04 -0400

Scott McClements wrote:
> Typically, you aren't going to notice the difference by reducing the
> SWR any further.
There are two points of concern:
I'd be more concerned that the SWR *changed*, apparently without any
work on the antenna.
Something has changed either with the antenna or in the coax.
A change in SWR when you don't do anything to the antenna system is
seldom good.

The second concern is the antenna did not meet the manufacturer's specs
when put up.  That's not usually a good sign, but many things can cause
it.  How high is the antenna and how close are the nearest objects aove
and below as well as the side?

>> Hello to all. I have a mosley ta-33M up on my tower for 4 years now. My swr
>> on 20 was always a bit high. It varies from 1.7:1 on 14.350 up to 2.0:1 on
>> 14.150...Now when i tune it it easily tunes down flat.
Flat? That usually means across the band.  Do you mean at resonance it's
1:1, or it's 1:1 across the the entire band, or all bands?

1:1 at resonance is not *normally* a bad thing, BUT if the antenna was
only 1.7:1 when first put up and now is 1:1 without having physically
worked on the antenna that's usually a sign of something bad. If it's
1:1 across the band, or bands that's probably serious.
>> Should I take it down and make some ajustment.
It's my belief it's certainly worth investigating.
OTOH does the antenna appear to be working well?
>>  Would it make a difference if i get the swr down or is it neglegable.Any
>> help would be aprecitated.thanks.

Isn't the SWR already down?

73

Roger (K8RI)