Re: [TowerTalk] Amphenol PL259

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Amphenol PL259
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 22:30:55 -0400

Paul Christensen wrote:
> Jorge:
>
> Both the Amphenol 83-1SP (standard) and Amphenol 083-822 (silver/Teflon) are
> excellent.  I generally order 083-822 from Mouser:
>
> http://www.mouser.com/catalog/638/1168.pdf
>
> I don't believe Amphenol makes a silver-plated "UG" reducer.  When needed, I
> order only the reducer from Quicksilver Radio Products.
>
> http://www.qsradio.com/Connectors.htm
>
> A bit off-topic, but worth adding here:  Anyone contemplating the use of a
> UG reducer should consider the following technique in the link below.  I
> just finished making a set of RG-400 cables with 083-822 connectors and
> Quicksilver UG reducers -- and the result was fast and excellent all because
> of his unique method
That method is hardly unique.  Most every one I know uses a similar way
of attaching the reducers.
> of attaching the braid to the reducer.  The primary
> benefit is that the entire PL assembly can be inspected prior to inserting
> the reducer into the PL body.  Another benefit is the user has total control
> over the placement of the braid onto the reducer.  By contrast, the
> generally accepted method is to insert the reducer with braid into the
> PL-259 body,
In all my years I have never seen any one attach a reducer like that.
>  then hope & pray that: (1) the braid appears evenly through the
> four body holes; and (2) nothing shorts inside as the connector during the
> soldering process as it cannot be inspected after soldering.  With the
> improved method described below, all soldering is completed before
> assembling the PL connector
>
> http://www.w5fc.org/files/how-to/PL259.PDF
>
> I rarely jump on the bandwagon when someone finds a new, creative way of
> installing a connector, but this one ranks on top.  Try just one, and you
> won't be able to stop making them.

It is a very good way, but it's a long way from being new.  I was shown
that when I first became a Novice a Novice way back in 61.  The only
thing I do differently is solder on the end of the reducer and trim off
all the extra braid so none extends back along the sides.

73

Roger (K8RI)