Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline ?

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline ?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 21:44:46 -0700
On Thu, 07 May 2009 22:02:58 -0400, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

> The worst case ADDITIONAL loss in the line for this degree of
>> mismatch is 0.18dB, no matter how long the line is. This is shown in the
>> graph
>> for that degree of mismatch, which is asymtotic to 0.18 dB.
>>

>Although correct I think the statement is a bit misleading.

I don't think it's misleading at all. The equations and graphs in the Handbook
show quite clearly that the worst case loss that you can blame on a 1.5:1 VSWR
is
0.18 dB. Period. You will have so many dB/100 ft for the "matched loss", plus
some additional loss that can never be more than 0.18dB.  What that means is
quite simple -- it is crazy to go overboard about modest VSWR!

73,

Jim Brown K9YC