Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor for Long Cable Run

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor for Long Cable Run
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 20:18:48 -0400
Almost any rotator of sufficient size to turn the antenna with a
potentiometer will suit your needs if you use a large enough cable to
minimize voltage drop.  My last station had cable runs well over 500 feet to
TIC Ring rotators and I had no problems.   I would be cautious if using a
rotator with a pulse indicator as some controllers may not work with longer
runs (Green Heron claims that his unit will work with longer runs.).  I
don't think having 400 feet of rotator cable is that unusual.  I would be
more concerned about whether the SteppIR will work properly with that long
of a run.

John KK9A / P40A