Re: [TowerTalk] Changing Rotors in LM-470

To: Bill Gaines AD8P <ad8p@wcoil.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Changing Rotors in LM-470
From: Dan <n5ar@air-pipe.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 08:39:07 -0700
Bill: There are several posts concerning this problem on TT May 23. You
can read them on the TT archive. Your best bet is to jack the mast up
and pull the rotator out. If you have a second bearing inside the tower
it is not difficult to do. If you do not have this, then, you can
improvise a temporary jig out of angle iron and muffler clamps just
above the rotator to control side motion. I use a small auto jack
resting on the tower top pushing against a spare mast to boom plate to
lift the mast assembly. Some people use a hoist inside the tower to do
the lifting.
  My towers are crankups with hollow corner tubes at the top. I use a
plate for the jack  base to rest on and some all thread rod thru it into
the hollow corner tubes. This makes a secure, safe, place for the jack
base.
  The good news is that after you put this stuff together you are ready
for any future problems.

73, Dan, N5AR