[TowerTalk] K7LXC-N0AX Beam Report/PRO 57B

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] K7LXC-N0AX Beam Report/PRO 57B
From: ABowenN4OO <abowen@nettally.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:08:12 -0400
I owned a PRO 67 B for about 3 years prior to the time that the Beam
Antenna Report was published After digesting the report, I knew why I
was less than competitive at 70' with the PRO 57B. There were even a
few instances where I was outguned by a friend (now SK) with a good
vertical installation on 17 and 15M.

Analysis of my contest scores showed serious deficiencies on 15 and
10M. For the most part, I needed to do S&P on those bands to obtain
any rate at all. On 20M, even a rotary dipole, which the PRO 57B was,
is a fair antenna at 70'.

After reading the report, I ordered out a 5 band quad. The difference
was immediately noticeable. When the SteppIRs came along, I replaced
the quad and noted considerable improvement over the quad, which had
all 5 elements  fed in parallel. The SteppIR had/has a much narrower
frontal lobe.

The late LB Cebik had an article in Compendium 7 showing the problems
with feeding 5 quad elements in parallel.

INK N4OO
Sopchoppy, FL