[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Inspection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Inspection
From: "Tony Brock-Fisher" <barockteer@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 18:01:20 -0400
As one of those things I was going to do when I got a 'Round Tuit', today I
started inspecting my guy anchor rods. (Tower is 78' Rohn 45G, three guy
levels; installation 16 years old). I excavated the first rod and found good
news and bad news. The good news is that it is structurally sound without
extensive corrosion. The bad news is that has no galvanizing left and has a
light coat of rust. Does anyone know of cathodic protection appropriate for ham
tower use? I can find commercial systems on the 'net, but they cost ~2K$.

I have found several excellent references on the 'net for inspection and
protection of guy anchor rods:

http://www.anchorguard.com/pdf/Inspection_Standard_4-06.pdf

http://www.itrainonline.org/itrainonline/mmtk/wireless_en/11_Communication_Tower/preventing_corrosion.pdf

-Tony, K1KP

...still have two more rods to inspect...