Re: [TowerTalk] Vacuum variable / inductor ratings for shunt fed tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vacuum variable / inductor ratings for shunt fed tower
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 01:09:37 -0500
The balun is an unusual design.  It's a combo 22 to 50 ohm unun plus a
common mode choke.  Most people say that won't work.  However if you
look at what they did it almost makes sense.  The unun part is tri-filar
wound which produces very little core flux.  They only used about half
the core for this.  So if it produces little core flux then it shouldn't
affect the other part of the core.  So they took the the coax that hooks
to the unun and used the other part of the core to wind a choke.  That
is the part that is questionable in my mind.  The choke will produce
core flux.  So shouldn't that couple back the the unun?  Apparently this
arrangement works or so they claim.  I just don't know how well it
works.  I was hoping you had measured it.

Jerry, K4SAV