Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting Polyphaser to SPG

To: Steve Norris <w5ki@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting Polyphaser to SPG
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 08:52:18 -0700
Steve Norris wrote:

> As I build back the station, I intend to bring antennas and control
> lines to a SPG plate 15 feet from the house, with the surge
> protection units (polyphasers).  This will be the disconnect point
> for all coax and control lines during storms.

You're going to run outside in the rain?  <grin>
The transients you may want to contemplate are not those from a direct
strike, but those induced in your wiring by a nearby strike, or those
conducted into your house from the power lines.

  Over on the house side
> of this 15 foot separation, the station ground system and electrical
> ground will be tied together.  At the corner of the house closest to
> the antenna SPG, I plan to extend/retract coaxes and control lines
> from the house to that antenna SPG.  So my QUESTION:  Should the
> ground wire connecting the station/house system to the antenna SPG
> also be disconnected during storms (like the coax and other lines)?

If you're worried about code compliance (many folks aren't), any sort of
scheme where bonding conductors get disconnected is probably not a good
idea.

Think also whether your primary vulnerability is from your coax (which
you're going to disconnect most of the time) or from other things.  I'd
worry more about lightning strikes on power lines (power lines have a
lot more "exposure", if nothing else). If the power line rises to 1000V
relative to the ground point you've connected your rig to, it's gonna
cook the rig.

Philosophically, I tend to prefer systems that require no active
participation of the user, because the one time you forget or decide,
just this once, to not do something, it's the time that is a disaster.