Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Height Question - Dual Yagi's

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Height Question - Dual Yagi's
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 07:37:15 -0400
FWIW, when I was building my first tower, 14 years ago, I was
planning to go with 70 feet.  W3LPL, who is (and has been) at the top
of the class for antenna and propagation expertise, strongly urged me
to go to ~100 feet for a single-tower station, and to put the 40M
beam on top.  I did it, and have been glad I did.

I use this tower to support an 80-meter wire parasitic array (not
quite a 4-square, but a lot simpler to build), and shunt feed it on
160 with good results.

The tower currently has an EF-240S (F12) on top and two C-3Es (also
F12).  I deliberately chose these antennas because they are small and
light enough (~30 pounds) that I could handle them on the tower,
while the C-3E stack gives me gain approaching that of a single
bigger tribander, and angle diversity that it can't match.

73, Pete N4ZR