[TowerTalk] tower raising winch

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower raising winch
From: David Jones <djetc@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:35:31 -0700 (PDT)
I have a Tri Ex 588 tower I am looking to add a winch to raise my winch and
tilt it up right. I am looking at a 10,000 pound winch to attach to the roof of
my house for raising and lowering it from to ground to install antenna and do
maintenance. My question is that the winch is for 12 volt operation wiith
automatic braking. I know that a hoist is more suitable for stable holing power
for in and out cable pull. Can the winch be used safeely for the raising and
lowering since it has automatic braking? I was hoping it would work since the
total pulling power is way over the limit needed to raise the tower since the
whole tower only weighs less than 500 pounds.
Thank
Dave
KB0CVV