Re: [TowerTalk] crimping tools

To: Jim Hoge <knowkode@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] crimping tools
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:14:45 -0400

Jim Hoge wrote:
> I am seeking opinions on crimping tools for LMR-400 coax.
I have several crimping tools.  The prices vary over quite a wide range.
*Typically* you get one crimper for the smaller sizes up through
RG8/LMR-400 using interchangeable dies and a separate crimper for the
larger sizes.

Mine aren't handy right now so I can't give you make and models.
There is one of the smaller, ratchet tools with dies listed in QST for
$50.  IIRC my crimper for LMR-600 was around $75.

Check with Davis and see what they have.  You will probably get some
good advise as well.

BTW even though I crimp them I still solder the center connector.
>  How well do the standard crimpers, both fixed die and interchangable die
> units perform with this cable?
I doubt if you could tell the differenced between the results of a fixed
dire and interchangeable die crimp.
> Is a piston type crimper worth the extra investment if I won't be doing cable
> larger than 400?

*Some* of the smaller UHF connectors have a very heavy crimp sleeve and
there you can use the extra pressure. Hopefully you won't find any of
those <:-))

As always...purchase, good, quality connectors. Paying a little more can
in the end be worth a lot more.

73

Roger (K8RI)