Re: [TowerTalk] concrete set time

To: "'jim Jarvis'" <jimjarvis@optonline.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] concrete set time
From: "John Lemay" <john@carltonhouse.eclipse.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 19:56:30 +0100
The slump test is a simple field indicator of the "workability" of the wet
concrete. The test is done before the main part of the load is poured.
However, the very first part of the discharge should not be tested as it's
not typical.

If it does not slump much the mix may not fill all the nooks and crannies in
the formwork and around the steel - there will be air voids - so your base
will not be as strong.

If the mix slumps excessively there is excess water in it and that will lead
directly to a weaker base.

The trick is for the lorry to arrive on site with a mix which is a little
too dry, and water can be added after the slump test and before the main
discharge of the mix.

Getting it just right is not always easy because the aggregate which forms
part of the concrete mix is often wet, either because it's stored in the
open, or because it's been washed.

I don't have the dimensions to hand, but a slump cone is about 12 inches
high, and a suitable slump is around 2 to 3 inches. In the UK anyway !

You could ask the driver to prove the slump on delivery ...........

John G4ZTR