Re: [TowerTalk] Tesla's birthday

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tesla's birthday
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 03:30:41 -0400

jimlux wrote:
> Bill Aycock wrote:
>
>> Andy--
>> The Tesla coil is really two coils, with the primary usually wound as a flat
>> spiral as a disk at the base of the other, which is a vertical tower. I
>> think that what you are calling a  "Fan" is the primary.
>> Bill-W4BSG

First time I ever saw one using the "pancake coil" as part of the
transformer. All I have seen just use a larger coil form with fewer
turns for the primary. Most also used a few hundred watts into the
primary in the neighborhood of 100 KHz.  I've seen a lot of them using
811s but no few using a pair of  4-400s.