Re: [TowerTalk] Mast size

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast size
From: chas <chasm@texas.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:54:24 -0500
Jim Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 19:11:05 -0400, Mike wrote:
>
> I just went through that with a used 25AG2. Measured it with a micrometer,
> it was something like 2.07 inches i.d. Bought the heaviest 2-inch mast from
> Texas Towers. It fits very nicely. The mast is something like 2.02 or so.
>
> BTW -- in line with the discussion about "getting it home" -- I had Texas
> Towers cut their 10 ft mast down to 9 ft so that UPS would ship it. No
> charge for cutting, but I bought a 10 ft mast. I figure it's a nice match
> for a Yaesu G1000 rotator and my 3-el SteppIR.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim K9YC

A lot of people with questions on this topic.. might as well join <G>.

I AM FORCED TO buy my tubing locally as I want a one piece 20 footer
with about 4' in the tower. no biggie, got pipe yards all over this
town.  two or three within 5 miles.  just need to know how HEAVY the
tubing needs to be.

20' gives me plenty to stick out of the top of that 52' crank up, tilt
over to support a UHF/VHF stick, a screwdriver on the very top
and on the other side of the yard arm from the Diamond 50, a set of
pullies for supporting a couple or so dipoles.  I would like to have
at least 15' out the top.

I expect that I may point a set of 2m, 11 element yagis at Austin/SAT
and another towards Lufkin. from my QTH vic Jersey Village or NW
Houston - 150 miles to hit the repeaters in those towns.  Might need
to goose the TX with some amp <G>.

Any suggestions for tube dimension to support that amount of antenna?

I will crank it down for the next IKE before it comes thru.

TIA
73
chas k5dam