Re: [TowerTalk] Universal Tower questions

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Universal Tower questions
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:12:26 -0400
These towers do bend more than steel towers and are more scary to climb.  I
own a 50 Universal Tower at P40A http://www.qrz.com/p40a and I have climbed
it many times in Aruba's wind.  I wonder where the "climbing it is not
recommended by the manufacturer" statement comes from as I don't recall ever
reading that in Universal's brochure.  You can assemble the tower on the
ground and walk it up, but it's really not that easy, especially with an
antenna and rotator on top.  I've walked up smaller ones, used a tow truck
to pull up a heavier one and I have built them vertically like any other
tower.

73,
John KK9A